Keyframe configuration

Here's the place to discuss anything about Media Preview in English.
nzill

Keyframe configuration

Post by nzill »

Hi! i have some questions about his configuration :

1/ What video keyframe is used for the preview ? How can i configure it to have the "same configuration" like the windows 7 explorer default preview.

Because i have many videos and i already work on it to have a good "title preview" with the default windows 7 thumbnails explorer ..... So i want the software extract the same keyframe for the preview of my videos...

2/ Is Media Preview independant from the operating system ? The thumbnails are cached in the windows folder (C:\Users\User-Name\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\Explorer) or it use another folder ?

3/ What is the limitation / maximum preview generated for one folder ? one disk ? and for the whole system ?

Thanks,
BabelSoft
Site Admin

Re: Keyframe configuration

Post by BabelSoft »

1/ Media Preview takes the nearest keyframe to 33% of the video duration by default and then may skip forward to avoid frames with too low/too high luminosity and to avoid monocolor frames. This can be changed using the config tool. As I don't know what is the exact algorithm of Windows 7 default thumbnailer, I don't know how to configure Media Preview to match it. But the coming new version of Media Preview will be able to extract cover arts for mp4 /asf /wmv file types. You probably want to use cover arts to simplify your work...

2/ Media Preview is integrated to the OS but is compeletely independent from the OS audio-video pipelines (i.e. doesn't use DirectShow or Media Foundation codecs). So thumbnails are effectively cached in the Windows folder.

3/ There is no limit, only the limits set by your OS. I think that the OS limits only impact the amount of thumbnails that can be cached at once.