Feature request mediapreview: SWF support

Here's the place to discuss anything about Media Preview in English.
BabelSoft
Site Admin

Re: Feature request mediapreview: SWF support

Post by BabelSoft »

Maybe you can send me your other .swf so I can take a look at them. It may perfectly normal if all of them only have black frames.

For CubicExplorer, it's because a 32-bit app cannot call 64-bit Media Preview. For this, there are 2 solutions:
- CubicExplorer has a 64-bit version and you can use it.
- I must find a way to easily install the 32-bit version of Media Preview along its 64-bit version.
ruudboek

Post by ruudboek »

I cannot sent you those swf files, because they contain information that i do not want to share.
I have heard there are many different swf formats. So my advise is to test with many swf files.

Cubicexplorer is only one example, there are probably hundreds of 32-bit application which use thumbnail previews.
I know other thumbnail preview software that supports 32-bit applications without any problem.
BabelSoft
Site Admin

Post by BabelSoft »

Actually there are only 2 swf formats:
- SWF, the regular one.
- SWC, C is for compressed.
I didn't tested compressed typed SWF file yet.

For the 32-bit apps within 64-bit OS, I think I'll simply change 32-bit Media Preview installer in order to allow installation on both 32 and 64-bit OS. Right now, the 32-bit installer only allows installation on 32-bit OS.

Edit: I've just tested some compressed typed SWF, and it's working well here. Do you have the original FLAs of your non-working SWFs? Maybe you can recompile them by removing the sensitive pieces of information, and then send them over to me.
BabelSoft
Site Admin

Post by BabelSoft »

Here's beta7 64-bit. The only change from beta6 is that it adds CubicExplorer support (and other 32-bit apps) on 64-bit OS. That's why there aren't any beta7 32-bit.
The only thing that doesn't work with CubicExplorer is thumbnailing for SWF files. I'll investigate later what's wrong with SWF support.
http://www.babelsoft.net/bin/MediaPrevi ... .beta7.msi
BabelSoft
Site Admin

Post by BabelSoft »

I found out what was going wrong with SWF support when using CubicExplorer, FreeCommander or Total Commander: there was a memory leak that didn't bother vanilla Windows Explorer, but was upsetting every other kind of browsing applications. The effects on those other apps could be black frames as thumbnails or simply icon display.
So, here's beta8 with the related bug fix, it also fixes every WinXP only bugs of previous beta versions. Moreover, SWF support can only be activated in the config tool if Flash Player 11+ is detected.
As per usual, uninstall any previous beta versions before installing and trying this one:
http://www.babelsoft.net/bin/MediaPrevi ... .beta8.msi
http://www.babelsoft.net/bin/MediaPrevi ... .beta8.msi

Known remaining bugs:
- SWF video original aspect ratios aren't respected.
- from the 4 parameters (luminance, entropy, quality, position), only position is taken into account for SWF for now.
ruudboek

Post by ruudboek »

Ok, now i do see thumbnails in Cubicexplorer, however they are a mess.
Lots of black thumbnails, but also thumbnails that contain some orange colors and a part of the what the thumbnail should look like.
It is also very slow.
BabelSoft
Site Admin

Post by BabelSoft »

Well, you need to help me here by providing me some files to test with.
SWF is quite a complex format because it's a mix of animated sequences and scripted sequences. With what I implemented, animated sequences are a no brainer, but scripted sequences are just a headache to render, because I cannot just get to a random frame to retrieve a good picture, sometimes I may have to emulate some user actions to get something out of a SWF. But SWF files have to run within a sandbox, it may not be possible to emulate this at all.
But again, to see if it's actually possible or not, I need some files to test with. And on the Internet, I mainly get SWF with simple animated sequences. Well, maybe I should try to find some SWF games, they should have a lot of scripted sequences.

However, when I'll apply the full video metric system to SWF files (i.e. luminance and entropy measures), it may get better.

As of the slowliness, I'm not sure I can do anything about this, as Cubic Explorer seems to be slower than Total Commander and vanilla Windows Explorer. I'll focus first on rendering and then on performance.

Edit:
By the way, if you previously used another thumbnailer to generate swf thumbnails, you may need to clear the thumbnail cache or use the Live Testing functionnality of the config tool to actually see the resulting thumbnails as generated by Media Preview.