.MIX extention

Here's the place to discuss anything about Media Preview in English.
blender61

.MIX extention

Post by blender61 »

Please, please, support this file extension.
It is native to Microsoft Photo Draw 2000 and (v2). I have 7K of these files and I can't view in thumbnail form, so they are almost useless to me.

The .mix extension was supported up to XP and was viewable in thumbnail form (thumbnail folder option). Was not viewable in "picture & fax viewer.

Microsoft Photodraw will run in Win7 w/wo compatibility mode.
It was not a success at the time but now has a dedicated following for being intuitive and flexible. It will also accept early PhotoShop plug ins.

Please help. I can't beg hard enough.
BabelSoft
Site Admin

Re: .MIX extention

Post by BabelSoft »

Media Preview has recently started supporting some image file formats. While it already covers most of the video and audio file formats you can meet in the wild, it only supports the most common image file formats for now for better thumb generation speed and correct transparency support.

I'm looking at expanding image file format support, but there are so many existing in the wild that it'd be quite a difficult task to add support to all of them. Indeed, the most all-encompassing image viewer I know of supports about 500+ file formats! I prefer to limit Media Preview support to the more useful image file formats.

So Media Preview probably won't ever support MS Photodraw native format for several reasons:
- the very last version of Photodraw has been released in 1999,
- Photodraw can't be purchased anymore since 2004,
- Microsoft completely abandoned Photodraw professional support in 2009,
- PictureIt!, another abandoned MS image editor, also used .mix as its native file format but .mix files produced from both applications aren't compatible,
- Being an old proprietary file format, there aren't any documentations about how .mix files are structured.

I strongly recommend you to find an alternative to Photodraw and convert your .mix files to a more widespread file format for edition with the found alternative editor (.png for instance). Simply keep your original .mix files as backups. It's always a good idea to ensure that the file formats you use are commonly used, so that you won't get locked up with an abandoned application and can easily migrate to another equivalent software.