Best method to install updated version?

Here's the place to discuss anything about Media Preview in English.
jasonwaltman

Best method to install updated version?

Post by jasonwaltman »

Simple question: What's the correct way to install an updated version of Media Preview? Can I install new versions on top of previous installations or should I remove previous installs before installing the latest version? Is the answer to this question the same if beta versions are installed?

Specifically for my case, I have version 1.2.6.beta8 installed on Windows 8 64-bit. I saw that you have a Win8 compatible version no longer in beta (1.3.1.343) and would like to install that version. Should I uninstall my old version first or just install the new one?

Thanks for your help! This software has worked great for me since installing it about a month ago.
BabelSoft
Site Admin

Re: Best method to install updated version?

Post by BabelSoft »

If you asked this question, it's probably because with the betas it became a tricky situation...Sorry for this.

The answer is luckily rather simple. In your particular situation, the beta you used and the latest official version have different version numbers. So you can simply upgrade without any issue.

The question probably araised because of all those 1.2.6 beta xx versions... They all had the same version number. So the installer didn't recognize them as updated versions, that's why you had to uninstall the previous beta before installing the next one, else Windows would install them side by side as it couldn't decide which version was the good one from the version numbering alone. And that would lead to unexpected situation.
Those betas were initially only for internal testing, so I didn't bother to give them a proper version numbering... But as I wanted to give users a glimpse of what's coming next, I put them online on this forum.

But out of those beta iterative cycles, you can simply upgrade when using final versions. Of course, it should be possible :D
jasonwaltman

Re: Best method to install updated version?

Post by jasonwaltman »

Thanks for the info! Yes...when I was looking for information on Windows 8 compatibility I did read a note about uninstalling first somewhere in the forums where I found the links to the beta software. Good to understand the reason why.

I successfully installed the newest version over the beta. :D