The latest beta thread

Here's the place to discuss anything about Media Preview in English.
Awesome Donkey

Re: The latest beta thread

Post by Awesome Donkey »

Beta 11 works perfectly! :)
zonetrooperex

Post by zonetrooperex »

For me Beta 11 is having the same COM Surrogate errors.

Example Video: http://www.mediafire.com/view/gmn16n0d9 ... ir-ltr.mp4

I'm using Windows 8.1 64-bit.
BabelSoft
Site Admin

Post by BabelSoft »

Interesting, this file only triggers a bug under Windows 8.0+ but works perfectly under Windows 7. I'll do further investigation and report soon about what's going wrong.
Gruko

Post by Gruko »

BabelSoft wrote:Yes, it's already there in my developer version, along with VP9. The final release has been delayed because somebody kindly proposed to translate Media Preview into Italian, else it would have been out last week-end. So it should be ready for this week-end.
Thanks for replay.
...and a support for .XCF Gimp files? Can you add this image file format? :idea:
BabelSoft
Site Admin

Post by BabelSoft »

For new image file formats, it won't happen for the next final version (hopefully by early February).
I tried to let Media Preview be all-encompassing for video and audio file formats. And I was quite astonished that there aren't that many widely used audio formats compared to video formats.
But when coming to image formats, there are so many different formats (several hundreds) that it's simply not manageable anymore. Anyway, the multimedia library I'm using, FFmpeg, really doesn't manage anything else than the most commonly used image formats, tiff being the only format being badly handled in some cases, which is reflected as-is in the current beta.

I'll try to find an elegant solution to handle more image file formats, at least to include the most common image editor file formats (so Gimp .xcf, Photoshop .psd, etc), and also document file formats (.doc, .pdf, and so on, again a personal need here). But no promises as of yet, I also want Media Preview to squash out those annoying Windows cache issues and to add the ability of having animated video previews in some ways. So many wishes, but not enough time. As stated before, I'll run a poll to see what users want to be first implemented in future versions.
theoneofgod

Post by theoneofgod »

The biggest annoyance for me, is the cache issue. It is really inefficient to have to re-render all those thumbnails after a few days. I hope this is #1 in the poll :)
BabelSoft
Site Admin

Post by BabelSoft »

@zonetrooperex: the file you gave me was triggering a bug that I would probably never find with every day video files, as this file is formatted in a way that should only be applied for very large MP4 files. Anyway, I delved a bit into the MP4 format specs to be sure to also cover those other rare odd-format situations.

1.3.2 b12

New stuff since beta11:
- Core: when determining MP4 video orientation, also handle files formatted using scarcely used parts of the MP4 specs.

Download:
http://www.babelsoft.net/bin/MediaPrevi ... 12.sfx.exe

Hopefully the last beta.
zonetrooperex

Post by zonetrooperex »

:lol: :D I can confirm that beta 12 runs on my Windows 8.1 64-bit with many less "COM Surrogate" errors while the Thumbnail Cache is populated.

I tested on my PC with over 5000 videos of many file types varying from 1080p MP4s to tiny FLV files. Only one file triggered the COM Surrogate error and that file was giant and weirdly formatted in an unknown flash FLV (checked using GSpot application).

After filling up the thumbnail cache I checked loading an Explorer window and none of the video thumbnails loaded (Just default VLC Player filetype icon, orange cone). After logging out and in again the thumbnails loaded quickly from the cache in Windows Explorer.

BTW are there plans to add more "border styles" for "Thumbnail Adornments" in the "Advanced" tab? I'd really love some with rounded edges or better Windows 7 style borders :D It'd be really nice.

Keep up your great work :D
BabelSoft
Site Admin

Post by BabelSoft »

@zonetrooperex: I would be interested to get your giant FLV file if possible. I would at least avoid Media Preview to trigger this COM surrogate error even in edge case situations like what you got, even if no thumbnail can be generated. After all, I started Media Preview because at the time other solutions were incomplete or were triggering the Blue Screen Of The Death... COM error is a lesser evil, but I really don't want to clutter systems with those annoying popups.

I indeed got the idea of a system to add custom border styles, after observing that the video reel style doesn't work with every width-height ratio and that the default photo frame style on Win7+ doesn't look anywhere close to a photo frame at all. As all the nice things, time is in dire need to allow its implementation. I'll try not to forget to put this in the poll.
Gruko

Post by Gruko »

Hello!
I've installed the last beta release on WinXP-sp3, and I noticed the audio and image formats tabs are missing.
I think this behaviour of media preview configuration tool results from my old operating system.
Can you confirm it?
Thanks for your attention.