Specific Folders

Here's the place to discuss anything about Media Preview in English.
arielreyes001

Specific Folders

Post by arielreyes001 »

Hello!
Firs of all, thank you for the great software! Love it! I have a question. Is there a way of choosing certain settings for specific folders? for example, for my movies I'd like to use the embedded cover art. But for the tv shows I'd like to use the generated image instead of the cover art. I have my TV shows in one folder, and my movies in the other. I was wondering if I could checkmark the cover art setting in one of the folders (movies) and uncheck it in the rest.
If not, could this be a feature request?
Anyway, thanks again for the great work!
AR
BabelSoft
Site Admin

Re: Specific Folders

Post by BabelSoft »

For now, you can't have separate settings per folder.
But this is an interesting request, and I'll consider it for one of the next versions.

Is there any other settings that you would like to be marked per folder?

Actually, I've already been asked to mark some settings per file, but it would degrade the performance quite a lot if it was applied to a lot of files. But marking them per folder would be quite more manageable.
arielreyes001

Post by arielreyes001 »

That's great! thank you for the prompt response and for the attention to the request. I can't think of any other setting which would be particularly pressing for which to have a per folder option for. However, some may be interested in all settings being manageable per folder. lol, i can't really think of a reason why, but some may want their 3gp preferences (luminance, entropy or quality) to be different from their mp4 preferences. Or maybe someone would want their home videos to go to a specific scene, manually chosen, for the thumbnail, while the rest of the files would have their thumbnail generated automatically through your algorithm. That's probably a lot to ask for, and probably not the type of answer you were looking for, but I can't really think of any other setting in particular to do "per folder".
Anyway, thanks again!
AR
BabelSoft
Site Admin

Post by BabelSoft »

When I was talking about settings per file, it was actually talking about having a thumb manually chosen instead of automatically generated. For this particular need, I have a solution that should work. And by having a more generic design, it should enable Media Preview to support any file format as long as a related picture is manually generated and selected. But it won't be available right now, I need time to do all this stuff...

For settings per folder, it's probably better to do a generic solution as well as you're proposing. I'll let you know when it's done. But I'm quite late compared to the initial planning for the next version already... Please, bear with me until then. I'm quite busy with other stuff but, as usual, I'll release something carefully crafted, always with quality in mind :)
arielreyes001

Post by arielreyes001 »

That works for me! no need to hurry on my account. I'm sure, like me, everyone here appreciates the quality!
Take Care!
Thanks again...
AR
BabelSoft
Site Admin

Post by BabelSoft »

I've just realized something: a settings per folder feature will probably not work on Windows 8, as there is a bug in the Windows Shell that doesn't let Media Preview knows the original path of media files.
I hope it'll get fixed in Windows 8.1...
arielreyes001

Post by arielreyes001 »

That's too bad :( but I guess that's what we get... I hope it gets fixed too...
arielreyes001

Post by arielreyes001 »

Hi!
So did Windows 8.1 fix the bug that wouldn't have allowed for the "settings per folder" feature to work? btw, the new version works great. My cartoon folders just look amazing. Quick question though, recently I've started using Directory Opus as a replacement for the windows native file explorer. In directory Opus media preview is quite inconsistent. Some file types work (mostly mp4's, some do not). Although all video file types are checked, and they work in windows explorer, avi's and mkv's mostly don't. in fact some m4v's worked AFTER i changed the extension to .mp4. Anyway, the question is just if you plan to support something like Directory Opus? or maybe you do and this is just a bug? if not, it is fine. I just wanted to know in case there was something I could do to fix it.
Thanks!
AR
BabelSoft
Site Admin

Post by BabelSoft »

I just checked back on Windows Vista and 7, and they actually behave the same as Windows 8: the shell won't give the full path but merely the filename. It's fine as Media Preview currently only needs the file extension, but it's obviously quite problematic for a per folder setting...

I think this is mainly an issue with Directory Opus. Indeed, Media Preview handles every file format in the same generic way. If you can't see anything at all for some file formats, it just means that Directory Opus handles each formats in a specific and obtrusive way. You should report this bug to Directory Opus. I know for sure that Media Preview does work correctly in other file managers, for instance Total Commander.

Windows Explorer can be extended using quite a bunch of interfaces, so you can expect other file managers not to implement some interfaces properly.