Thumbnail cache keeps clearing

Here's the place to discuss anything about Media Preview in English.
theoneofgod

Re: Thumbnail cache keeps clearing

Post by theoneofgod »

kaspano wrote:Babelsoft, has this thumbnail cache problem being solved with the latest version 1.4 ? I mean that the thumbnail cache is not getting cleared anymore after a couple of reboots with the newest version .
It is better for me, but it still gets flushed eventually.
theoneofgod

Post by theoneofgod »

Any news on the work you were doing improving this? It seems in Update 1 for Windows 8.1 the cache is cleared more, is this right?
BabelSoft
Site Admin

Post by BabelSoft »

Well, I don't know if it gets cleared more in Win 8.1 u1 as I don't use this OS regularly. But the next version of Media Preview will finally tackle this issue. Expect it to be ready around June/July.
kocchi96x

Post by kocchi96x »

BabelSoft wrote:Well, I don't know if it gets cleared more in Win 8.1 u1 as I don't use this OS regularly. But the next version of Media Preview will finally tackle this issue. Expect it to be ready around June/July.
alright i was wondering about this myself im on windows 8.1 and its been clearing my cache after a restart, also does it on my labtop which is windows 8.
BabelSoft
Site Admin

Post by BabelSoft »

Good news: the current development version of Media Preview has the system cache fix ready. I've tested it against 7,500 video files, generating a big L2 cache of about 225 MB. I've forced a system cache clean up, restarted my PC. Thumbnails were directly taken from the L2 cache, and displayed without delay. It's quite a pleasure to see them displayed that fast.

I'll probably release a beta version soon for others to give me feedbacks on "normal" PCs. My hardware configuration is customized to run several virtual machines simultaneously along a heavy dev editor/debugger (Windows is installed on a SSD of 512 MB with 16 GB of RAM), so I expect more casual hardware configurations to maybe raise some slowness issues right after a Windows restart, while the system is filling its virtual memory with thumbnail data. If it does happen, I have some idea to workaround these, else it'll be a good to go.

This solution will work on Vista to 8.1 included (XP doesn't need this) but it won't work on Windows 8.0, as this version of Windows has a bug that cannot let Media Preview create an efficient L2 cache.
Dolmatov

Post by Dolmatov »

BabelSoft wrote:Windows is installed on a SSD of 512 MB with 16 GB of RAM
Sorry. 512 megabytes of disk space is occupied or employed in the RAM?
BabelSoft
Site Admin

Post by BabelSoft »

I was just describing my hardware configuration. I meant my system disk is a SSD with a capacity of 512 GB (not MB...), and on top of that I have 16 GB of RAM whereas most PCs have between 2 to 4 GB of RAM. Sorry for the confusion.
theoneofgod

Post by theoneofgod »

BabelSoft wrote:Good news: the current development version of Media Preview has the system cache fix ready. I've tested it against 7,500 video files, generating a big L2 cache of about 225 MB. I've forced a system cache clean up, restarted my PC. Thumbnails were directly taken from the L2 cache, and displayed without delay. It's quite a pleasure to see them displayed that fast.

I'll probably release a beta version soon for others to give me feedbacks on "normal" PCs. My hardware configuration is customized to run several virtual machines simultaneously along a heavy dev editor/debugger (Windows is installed on a SSD of 512 MB with 16 GB of RAM), so I expect more casual hardware configurations to maybe raise some slowness issues right after a Windows restart, while the system is filling its virtual memory with thumbnail data. If it does happen, I have some idea to workaround these, else it'll be a good to go.

This solution will work on Vista to 8.1 included (XP doesn't need this) but it won't work on Windows 8.0, as this version of Windows has a bug that cannot let Media Preview create an efficient L2 cache.
Fantastic news. I really can't wait to try this out.
kocchi96x

Post by kocchi96x »

BabelSoft wrote:Good news: the current development version of Media Preview has the system cache fix ready. I've tested it against 7,500 video files, generating a big L2 cache of about 225 MB. I've forced a system cache clean up, restarted my PC. Thumbnails were directly taken from the L2 cache, and displayed without delay. It's quite a pleasure to see them displayed that fast.

I'll probably release a beta version soon for others to give me feedbacks on
This is great news thanks for update will be looking forward to give beta try when its out.
usnbrendon

Post by usnbrendon »

:geek: Very pleased to read this post from admin b/c today this dreaded undesired / unresolvable magically disappearing thumbnail cache issue struck my win 8 x64 laptop and I've NEVER had problems with my media thumb caches since discovering and religiously utilizing Media Preview about 6 mos ago! Not to be too pushy....but, reading there is a beta release ready or at least quite near ready for testing against this issue, yet not knowing where to go to obtain this beta release, is puzzling and frankly unnerving just b/c I want this fixed asap--obviously we all in this thread desire the same. Is there a centralized repo / distro channel for beta releases of Bablesoft-wares???

If I've missed a sticky or other thread providing this answer, I apologize in advance and hope someone here can point me in the right direction!
Thanks to dev for great work on a much needed and under-appreciated as well as under-touted SOLUTION by Bablesoft. I swear by this program and share it with anyone/everyone who is a media or computer nut like myself (read: geek, nerd, techie...) and it is a must have install on ALL of my PC workstations, including my DAW, portables and custom built x64 EE i7 desktop and media center. Kudos and cheers!