No images in Win 8.0

Here's the place to discuss anything about Media Preview in English.
jackson

No images in Win 8.0

Post by jackson »

I'm confused. I've used Media Preview for years with previous Windows operating systems, but I just can't get images on my VLC files in Windows 8.0 (not 8.1). What am I doing wrong?
BabelSoft
Site Admin

Re: No images in Win 8.0

Post by BabelSoft »

Media Preview is only 2 year old now :)
Anyway, I tested the latest official version (1.4.2) on Windows 8.0 64-bit and it's working fine on my side.
When you're saying VLC files, what are the extension of those files ? Can you provide me a sample of those so I can test them myself ?
jackson

Post by jackson »

Video Lan (VLC) is a multi-file opener that will open .wmv, .mp4, .flv, etc. Since it is used to open all my video files, it places its "traffic cone" image on each video file icon. Your product has always replaced that traffic cone with an actual image taken of the video. The only difference now is that I'm using Windows 8.
BabelSoft
Site Admin

Post by BabelSoft »

I know about VLC, I just wanted to be sure than, when you talk about VLC files, you were actually talking about video files and not something else.
Well, I installed the last version of VLC (2.1.3) along the last version of Media Preview, and everything is working fine on my side.
Maybe Media Preview is not registered anymore to handle video files for whatever reasons. So try to open the config tool, unselect every video formats in the video tab, click Apply, select again the video formats you want Media Preview to handle, click Apply again. If you selected .mp4, they should have generated thumbnails.

If it still doesn't work, I'll need more information. In this case, could you launch regedit (in the search field of the charm bar, simply type regedit), go to the folder called HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.mp4, right-click on it and select export. You'll get a .reg file: post it here so I can see what's happening.
jackson

Post by jackson »

I appreciate your help.....but clearing and reloading the files types made no difference. I followed your regedit instructions and have an icon now on my desktop, but it cannot be opened and I don't understand how to send it to you. Please advise.
BabelSoft
Site Admin

Post by BabelSoft »

To send me the .reg file, you have 2 ways:
1- You can upload an attachment with a new post in the forum: below the 3 buttons "save draft", "preview" and "submit", click on "upload attachment" and select the reg file.
2- Send me an email at cyrilapan [at] yahoo.fr.
jackson

Post by jackson »

Am getting more and more confused.

When I try to open or copy the regedit icon I placed on my desktop, I get "Cannot import C:\Users\JLS\Desktop\export registry file.reg: Not all data was successfully written to the registry. Some keys are open by the system or other processes, or you have insufficient privileges to perform this operation."
jackson

Post by jackson »

Tried to send by email attachment and was rejected as too big.
BabelSoft
Site Admin

Post by BabelSoft »

You don't need to open the reg file, the default behavior is to import the registry content back to the registry, which is useless here.
But the reg file shouldn't be bigger than a few kB. If it's bigger, it means you exported the wrong node, probably HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT, which is quite big. But it doesn't matter, just compress it using winzip for instance and send it to me.
jackson

Post by jackson »

This has become far too complicated and time consuming for my skill level. Thank you for trying to help....but i give up on your product. It is not worth it anymore. i did nothing other than switch to Windows 8.0