.swf needs internet explorer flash plugin? why not firefox flash plugin

Here's the place to discuss anything about Media Preview in English.
paulward19062

.swf needs internet explorer flash plugin? why not firefox flash plugin

Post by paulward19062 »

Hello in version 1.4.0.404 I wanted to remove flash to reinstall cause it was doubled in Firefox. So I deleted all of the flash players on my PC and reinstalled the newest version (17). I then noticed that the .swf files where not showing there preview so I opened up the media preview configuration and it had a [ ? ] next to the .swf in video formats and was greyed out. It said that you needed internet explorer flash player plugin to show a preview.

So this is where I would like to make a suggestion about adding Firefox flash plugin support to that also.

If fixed in any of the newer ones please let me know at: paulward54321@gmail.com

Thank you for your time and I hope this gets added if not already.

UPDATE: Or to Allow the ability to choose the location of the flash player to play it ie. the stand alone version of the flash player would help also so you can use a portable flash player instead of fixed version.
BabelSoft
Site Admin

Re: .swf needs internet explorer flash plugin? why not firefox flash plugin

Post by BabelSoft »

Thanks TReKiE for the accurate reply :)
There is just one detail to add: the first design of COM component is actually older then Netscape plugins', but then has evolved a few times while keeping retro compatibility.

But yes, I won't apply your suggestion to Media Preview because of the reasons given by TReKiE, but also because I don't want to develop 3 specific versions for those using Firefox, those using Chrome and those with IE...
paulward19062

Post by paulward19062 »

well thanks anyways
though what about the standalone version of flash that you could use?
BabelSoft
Site Admin

Post by BabelSoft »

Very few people do have the standalone version while Flash ActiveX component has been available by default since Windows XP, so I don't see any good reasons to use the standalone version.